Terms and Conditions
Please understand the following terms and conditions:
1. Participants should be professionally dressed in dark colored clothing with minimal decals, i.e. long pants, shoes, and collared shirt. If the participant is inappropriately dressed, the on-duty supervisor shall deny ride-along approval. Jewelry and perfumes/colognes should be minimal.
2. All persons authorized to ride in police vehicles will participate in a passenger/observer capacity only. Participants are not permitted to take part in any police action or perform any other police task or function. Participants shall remain under the complete control of the assigned police officer and shall comply with all directions and requests.
3. Participants shall not interfere with investigations in any way by conversing with victims, suspects, or witnesses, handling evidence or police equipment, or by participating in any police activity unless directed to do so by the assigned police officer.
4. Participants are not permitted to operate any police vehicle, handle firearms or weapons, or use any police equipment. Participants will use the communication system only in the event of an extreme emergency.
5. Unless the participant is a sworn-law enforcement officer, the carrying of firearms (concealed or otherwise) is prohibited – even if the participant possesses a concealed carry permit.
6. Participants are required to wear safety belts at all times while riding in police vehicles.
7. Tobacco use is strictly prohibited inside all city-owned buildings and vehicles. The use of tobacco products while conducting business or affairs in the community is also prohibited.
8. Although it is extremely rare, riders may be subpoenaed to court to testify as a witness to their observation during specific incidents.
9. Occasions may occur where the officer has to temporarily discharge participants from the vehicle at a safe and suitable location while responding to or handling a call that would expose them to undue danger, violence, or other hazardous conditions.
10. Participants should report to the Patrol Sergeant or Lieutenant on the date and time assigned.
11. Participants are limited to one (1) ride-along per a 30-day period.