6. Code of Conduct
Code for Players
1. Play for enjoyment & become part of the rugby family.
2. Respect the ‘Game of Rugby’ & play within the Laws of the game.
3. Accept the referees' decision & let your captain or coach ask any relevant questions.
4. Play with control. Do not lose your temper.
5. Always do your best & be committed to the game, your team & your club.
6. Be a ‘good sport’. Applaud all good play whether by your team or the opposition.
7. Respect your opponent. Treat all players as you would like to be treated. Do not ‘bully’ or take advantage of any player.
8. Rugby is a team sport & make sure you co-operate with your coach, team mates & members of your club.
9. Remember that the goals of the game are to have fun, improve your skills & feel good.
10. At the end of the match thank your opponents & the referee for the match.
11. Always remember that you owe a duty of care to your opponents. Tackle hard but fairly, do not intend to hurt your opponent.
12. Winning & losing is part of sport: Win with humility - lose with dignity.
13. As part of the team it is important that you attend training regularly & listen to your coach & help the team.
14. As a team sport it is important to understand that all members are important to the team.
15. Remember you are representing Connemara RFC, family & the Game of Rugby.
Code for Parents
1. Remember, young people play rugby for their enjoyment, not only yours.
2. Encourage your child always to play by the Laws of the Game.
3. Teach young children that honest endeavor is as important as winning, so that the result of each game is accepted without disappointment.
4. Help young people to work towards skill improvement & good sportsmanship.
5. Set a good example by applauding good play on both sides.
6. Never ridicule, humiliate or shout at young players for making a mistake or losing a match.
7. Do not place emphasis on winning at all costs.
8. Do not force an unwilling child to participate in the playing of rugby. If a child is to play he/she will do so in good time through your encouragement.
9. Support all efforts to remove verbal & physical abuse from rugby.
10. As a spectator do not use profane language or harass referees, coaches or players.
11. Do not publicly question referees' judgment & never their honesty.
12. Recognise the value & importance of volunteer referees & coaches.
13. Identify & acknowledge the good qualities of the Game of Rugby & uphold these values.
14. Remember you & your child's contribution to the Game of Rugby is very important to Connemara RFC & the IRFU & be proud of your contribution.
15. Understand the value of team sport & its importance.
16. It’s your and your Childs club so help out; contact Fiona Shanahan at 0876634328 or email@example.com to find out more, even an hour a week would be greatly appreciated.