Clowns have been the subjects of paintings for centuries. Clowning Around is an exhibit that encourages artists to express their inner clown through art in fun, playful, sadistic, comedic, or tragic ways. Clowns have always evoked a variety of emotions from people. Many people are happy clown believers, drawn towards fanciful circus graphics or sympathetic weeping hobo clowns. Others prefer their clowns sinister, with creepy figures lurking in dark alleys. We are asking artists to have some fun and pick a side: Happy or Scary. Try a clown portrait or create a figurine. There are many possibilities to explore. Your clown could be a satirical social comment, a painting that expresses a personal tragedy through laughter, a found object reshaped by your imagination, a photograph meant to produce uncomfortable giggles, or even having an absurd clown randomly popping up in a landscape. Embrace a childlike whimsy or journey into a carnival of crazy clowns. It’s your world to explore. Join us in this romp with a truly American genre.
Entry to this exhibit is by online submission. Art may be two- or three-dimensional, and in any medium. No strict size limits, but please be considerate of other artists and the physical limits of the gallery before entering oversized pieces. Oversized pieces of merit will be accepted if space permits. Art should be ready to hang or display with wire and screw eyes, mounting and/or display stand, framed, matted, or with edges finished. We cannot show work that is not ready for exhibition. See DelRayArtisans.org/exhibits/art-guidelines for additional details.
The curators look forward to seeing your interpretations of "clowning around".
Contact the curators if you have questions.
● Open to all area artists.
● Artists may submit up to three (3) pieces of artwork. The entry fee is $5 per entry for Del Ray Artisans members and $10 per entry for non-members. Deadline for online submission of your art is midnight on Monday, July 24, 2017.
● Entry fees are due upon submission and are non-refundable - pay with cash, check, or credit card at the gallery or by credit card online at: squareup.com/store/del-ray-artisans/item/clowning-around-entry-fee
● You must provide one photo for each entry. Acceptable file types are: pdf, jpg, jpeg, png, and gif; up to 5MB in file size. Smart phone photos are acceptable. You may also choose to provide one additional photograph per entry (not required). You must name your files as follows: "YourLastName-FirstName-Entry1," "YourLastName-FirstName-Entry2", etc. If you provide a second photo for an entry, add a "b" to the end - e.g. "YourLastName-FirstName-Entry1b".
● Final acceptance for this exhibit will be at the curators’ discretion upon physically viewing accepted artwork at Artwork Receiving.
● All artwork must be for sale. We will not accept pieces marked "NFS.".
This exhibit will have an associated “Art-To-Go” marketplace opportunity.
Art-To-Go Marketplace Details:
Bin art/matting should be 18"x24" or less to fit safely into our print racks.
Smaller bin submissions must be attached to a foam core at least 8"x10".
3D Marketplace entries must be small (no larger than 8"x10"x8")
Art-To-Go entries will be accepted during Artwork Receiving on Sunday, July 30, 2017 from 6-8pm and Monday, July 31, 2017 from 6-8pm.
Art-To-Go entry fees are $3 per piece, or $10 for up to 5 pieces.
There is a maximum of five Art-To-Go items per artist.
We will provide a separate entry form for Art-To-Go entries and fees are payable when the art is delivered at Artwork Receiving.