Dr. Schwartz was a caring and dedicated poultry pathologist and educator who faithfully encouraged and supported veterinary students in their efforts to fulfill their career aspirations. He was a constant voice of encouragement and was responsible for training and mentoring many veterinary students during his long and distinguished career. The AAAP annually selects an outstanding student(s) to receive the L. Dwight Schwartz Travel Scholarship to attend the American Association of Avian Pathologists' Annual Meeting.
The purpose of the award is to introduce veterinary students to the many aspects of poultry medicine and to facilitate their interaction with research scientists, poultry diagnosticians, and clinical poultry veterinarians who would further their education and training.
1. The applicant must be a student enrolled in a DVM/VMD program in an AVMA-accredited college of veterinary medicine.
2. The applicant must have demonstrated an interest in poultry medicine by participating in one or more of the following:
* A research project pertaining to some aspect of poultry medicine.
* A poultry-related externship or work experience.
* Elective poultry medicine/science courses.
3. Preference will be given to applicants desiring to give an oral or poster presentation at the annual AAAP meeting.
4. Statement indicating that the applicant will attend the poultry medicine section of the AAAP Annual Meeting.
The award(s) shall be competitive and shall be in the amount of up to $1,500 to help defray travel expenses to the American Association of Avian Pathologists' Annual Meeting. The award winner(s) submit an expense report and receipts to the AAAP office. The number of awards to be given will be determined by the AAAP Board each year. The first award was given in 2002.
1. Submission of a two-page narrative statement describing the applicant's interest, experience, and career aspirations in the field of poultry medicine
2. Submission of two letters of recommendation from faculty (at least one of them from an AAAP member).
3. Submission of grade transcripts.